Sunday, October 30, 2011

Snow Before Halloween?

I can't think of a time when I've experienced snow before Halloween. I totally was not expecting this yesterday. Normally, one of the first things I do when I wake up in the morning is check the weather. I've adopted this habit since coming to college because unlike high school, I actually have to walk from building to building to get to class, the library, the Dining Center, and so on. However, yesterday I forgot because I was in a hurry to catch the 8:46 SEPTA train.

Thankfully I grabbed my umbrella, but I was in for a bigger surprise than rain. 

I took this picture from my dorm window, as I was unwilling brave the cold after I returned from my adventure.
My group in my Urban Culture and Society class had to go observe Mishkan Shalom, a progressive synagogue downtown. Despite the weather, it was an interesting experience, as I had never been to a synagogue or a Bat Mitzvah before. Also, it was Shabbat Noah, so I got to read the Noah's Ark story from a Jewish perspective. I relished this short experience, and only wish that the rabbi had spent more time on the subject. However, Bat Mitzvah's incorporate many other traditions, so this was only a small portion of the service. I was definitely surprised at the length of the service--the Bat Mitzvah was two and a half hours long!

During the service, the weather took a turn for the worse. The temperature dropped, and it continued to sleet and snow. Luckily we were able to catch the bus, but the SEPTA trains had stopped running by the time we made it to the station! My group members and I waited with frozen toes for about 45 minutes, until an upperclassman friend of theirs from Bryn Mawr came to save us.

It was definitely an exhausting day, but the experience at the synagogue was worth it!

Did it snow where you live this weekend? I'm happy to say the forecast is sunny here for the next few days. I'm not quite ready for winter yet!

1 comment:

  1. I hope the early snow is not a foretaste of a really cold, snowy winter for you, Alexis!

    ReplyDelete