Saturday, October 15, 2011

Haverford College Campus Tour No.1

Hey everyone!

Yesterday I went out and took some pictures of campus. It was stormy all day yesterday, and I would have taken more pictures had it not started raining. Anyway, I think Haverford's campus is really pretty over all, so it's a shame there are very few pictures of campus available online. But you're in luck--I'm going to give you a series of  insider photo tours! I hope you enjoy these pictures.

This is my dorm, Gummere. It's a strange building. Because it's built on a slope, the floors are staggered in 3 sections. There are three floors in each section, so there are 9 floors total. The floor plan and labeling system are complicated, and most people on campus don't understand it, so I'll save you from a mental headache.


I like this tree. Or is it a really big bush? . . .


Haverford's mascot is the Black Squirrel. This is an awful photo, but those little guys are too fast and too bashful for me to photo up close.


Here is Gummere again. On the right is another dorm, Leeds.

 We also have a nice little playground. What more could college kids want?


A sandbox, of course!


(Actually, the community uses campus as a park, it is that pretty. I always see families with young children wandering around.)

Did I mention Haverford is known for its trees? We're an arboretum. I really like this crazy one.



A lot of the trees have identification tags. Ever since I saw these, I wondered if it would bother the tree to have a plaque drilled into it.


Also on the playground area is this strange sculpture. I love it.


Except this side scares me.


I like it because no matter what side you are on, there is so much to look at.


Apparently kids can crawl through here. I wondered if I could fit, but I wasn't curious enough to get dirty trying.


This is Hall. I'm sure Hall was some Haverford alumnus who donated a lot of money for the building, as this is how most of our buildings are named. But don't quote me on it.


 Everything at Haverford was donated by alumni. Even the stairs.


I'm so excited the trees are beginning to change colors!


This is Founders Hall. This is the original building. Back in 1833, students lived, ate, and took classes here.


 This is Magill Library. It's the biggest library on campus--it's much bigger than it appears.


I'm fond of the windows.


This is Chase Hall. The Office of the Registrar and the Student Activities Offices are here. As you can see, Haverford is extremely fond of stone!


These are all the pictures I have for now. Check back soon for part II in my Haverford College Campus Tour!





No comments:

Post a Comment