Thursday, October 20, 2011

Academic Blessings: Self Scheduled Exams

Hey everyone!

It's a beautiful Thursday here in Haverford. I think this picture captures what the weather is like today, even though I took it a few days ago. It's the Haverford Duckpond!



Anyway, I think the picture pretty much fits my mood. Which is a rarity in my crazy life. Today has been so relaxing for me, even though I had a two hour exam!


How can an exam be even remotely relaxing? At Haverford, the majority of our exams are self scheduled.  This means that the professor gives you the exam a few days a head of time and you complete it on your own time. My Abnormal Psychology professor gave us our exam on Tuesday, told us not to use our book, notes or any other resources, and told us to put it in a box outside her office by 5 pm on Thursday. It's that simple.

Most of the time when I try to explain self scheduled exams to people outside of the Haverford community, they don't understand how it works. "Don't people just cheat?" they ask. No, and that's the crucial point here. When students decide to come to Haverford, we make a commitment to abide by the Honor Code in all of our academic endeavors. The code is not a set of rules and regulations enforced by administrators, but it is a creation of students who are passionate about living and learning in a community of integrity and honesty. The Honor Code was created by students, is ratified by students, and is enforced by students. We govern it ourselves. The student body doesn't want to plagiarize or cheat, because we have created a beautifully self-sustained governing system that is too precious to jeopardize.

For the most part, our system really works, but no one is perfect. This is why we have Honor Council to help sort out disputes.

I'm excited to be living in a community with such strong values. It's refreshing to wake up on a Thursday morning, have a leisurely breakfast, then head off to the library to take an exam. I also allowed myself the time to read the Bible beforehand. I'm so thankful for this opportunity, because God gave me the words in Luke 10:38-42 that I needed to hear. I was anxious about my exam yesterday and early this morning, but Jesus said, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one." These words filled me with peace, and I was ready for my exam.

Had this been a typical, scheduled exam, I probably would have been too rushed to sit down and really absorb this passage. I wouldn't have been ready. With Haverford exams, I am assured that I will be tested on what I know, not how tired, or stressed, or rushed that I am.

Though you might still be skeptical of Haverford's Honor Code, it definitely works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment