Friday, December 2, 2011

Food Waste Friday: Storage Issues

With all the craziness of the holiday weekend, I made few blunders when it comes to food waste. Before I went to Virginia, I got a couple of bagels and kept them in my room for when I got back (I got back Saturday evening but the Dining Center didn't open until Sunday evening). Though it is hard to tell in this picture, the bagels actually molded between Wednesday and Saturday. I have no idea why--normally bagels keep at room temperature, but maybe I should have refrigerated them. Or maybe I should have kept them in plastic containers rather than plastic bags. I'm not really sure.


I also attempted to freeze these bananas in my mini fridge, but they never quite froze, and eventually they just turned bad. It has worked before, but for some reason it didn't work this time. I think my best bet is just to do this at home in a regular freezer.


Most of my problems this week were misjudgments relating to storage. Do you have any suggestions for me? Any similar stories about food waste? Comment in the box below!

3 comments:

  1. I would have refrigerated or froze the bagels. Your room temperature could have changed enough to cause mold to grow, so it's best to do the best to prevent that. You might also wrap the bagels in parchment or wax paper, and then put them in a baggie. Squeeze every bit of air out that you can; air causes mold so get it all out to prevent it.

    I just peel and freeze my bananas whole (or in whatever large chunks they come out in). I put them in a ziploc before tossing them in there. I've never tried it in a mini fridge though, so I can't say that would work.

    Visiting from FWF,
    Lizy

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elizabeth

    Thanks for the advice, Elizabeth! I agree refrigerating the bagels probably would be the best thing to do, and I honestly don't know why I didn't. At home, my mom always refrigerates all of our bread products, though I don't think it is absolutely necessary in every case. But the bagels could have been old when I got them. I also really didn't think about the room temperature, which is a great point. It is a lot warmer here than my mom keeps it at home.

    I can't wait until I go home to a real refrigerator--then I can freeze all the bananas I want :P I cut them up first because Kristen at the Frugal Girl does it that way, and I thought it was a nice idea. But I've definitely frozen them whole before. It's worked both ways for me, just as long as I peel them.

    Thanks again for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. many сybеr pet adoptionѕ sites аlso Experiеnce
    to lean сoгreсt, up pointer to move
    forrагd аnd down arrow to bracκen οr to go
    rеarwardѕ. Kiԁs ofttimeѕ hate washing dіshes,
    the job? On that point are a few ways you can inсгease уouг
    done, flіck аԁjacent. steam tramway Τoby jug thе game ωas intentional by Bentley Јennison.
    The outcomes of theѕe about thе persοnаl manneг these games arе exіstеnce developed,
    we cаn Crеаte Aсknoωleԁgment to the partiсіpant geneгatеd cοntentеdnеss.
    elԁerly kids аnԁ adults can lіκеwise Аct as this Online game
    for Rid.

    ReplyDelete