Sunday, September 18, 2011

Sight Seeing in Philadelphia

Hey everyone!

Yesterday I took the train with my friend Tami to Philadelphia.


What did we see? Well, I actually had to conduct observation research for my Urban Culture and Society class. So we visited The Swan Memorial Fountain in Logan Square.


There are three statues. Each of them represent a different river near Philadelphia: the Schuylkill, Wissahickon, and Delaware rivers. I am not actually sure which one is which; I need to do more research. 

I do know the Delaware River is this man:


But supposedly the Schuylkill is a mature woman, and the Wissahickon is a girl. Before I knew this, I actually had trouble deciding the gender of this statue:


This one is much more obviously a woman:


Besides fountains and statues, I also got to observe interesting people. For my project, I have to talk to people at Logan Square, so I got to chat with an artist painting the fountain, a Haverford School (the Haverford High School, not College) acapella group, and a few friends of a bride (I saw two weddings within about an hour or so of one another!) 

If you ever visit Philly, the fountain is a great sight to see!



No comments:

Post a Comment