Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday Adventure

Happy Sunday everyone!

As you can probably tell, weekends and Sundays especially are my least busy days, so I will post more often on these days. However, I have a couple of post ideas floating around in my head, so I'll try to get them up soon. Anyway. . .

Last Thursday I attended Haverford Christian Fellowship (HCF), where I met some new Christian classmates and saw a few familiar faces. We had an ice cream social, and got to know each other. I learned more about the people, the structure of the group, and several options for attending church. I really enjoyed it!

So, today I attended church for the first time since I've been at Haverford! Kaitlyn, one of the HCF leaders, invited us to join her at Covenant Fellowship Church. The service ran from 11:30-1 pm, and two of my freshmen friends also attended. We were a bit late so we missed worship, but I did experience an excellently convicting sermon. The message was based on the "Year of Jubilee" passage in Leviticus 25. It's definitely impressive when a pastor preaches from Leviticus--it's not the most exciting book of the bible. However, the thing about Leviticus is, God lays his commands out plainly and simply. In this passage especially, he tells us how to react in specific situations:

“‘If any of your fellow Israelites become poor and are unable to support themselves among you, help them as you would a foreigner and stranger, so they can continue to live among you. 36 Do not take interest or any profit from them, but fear your God, so that they may continue to live among you. 37 You must not lend them money at interest or sell them food at a profit. 38 I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of Egypt to give you the land of Canaan and to be your God."

I think sometimes Christians make excuses for themselves and say, "I don't know what God wants me to do!" I definitely do this all the time. However, I think God's plan for our lives is not always as ambiguous as we might think. He states his command quite clearly in the above passage, as well as many other places in the bible. But it's up to us to seek out answers in the Word, and to encourage one another to do so. How are you seeking out ways to follow his plan in your life?

After the sermon at Covenant, a man came up and spoke about the ministry of the church--how the church was following God's will. Covenant is partnered with three African churches, through Covenant Mercies. They have a child sponsorship program which they have continued for the past nine years. They focus especially on educating children and sharing the good news with them. They have supported over 900 children, who otherwise would have been forced to drop out of school. This was a testimony to me that this church just doesn't talk about their faith, they live it out.

I had a great experience this week; hopefully next week will go just as well!

Side note: Comments are always welcome and greatly appreciated! I love hearing other people's thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment