Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What I Learned: About Suffering

Hey everyone!

I know I just posted about the HCF Retreat, but I wanted to share with you a little more specifically what I actually learned.

In an InterVarsity bible study, you look extremely closely at one specific passage.


We had several sessions in which we did this; however, this particular passage, John 11:38-44, we looked at during a personal reflection time.

By breaking this passage down, I was able to truly apply it to my life. Consider the first verse. Jesus was "deeply moved" by the suffering of Mary, Martha, and Lazarus. He didn't just pity them or feel sorry for them. Their sorrow deeply moved him. Often times I find myself filled with overwhelming sorrow, and I think to myself, "No one cares that much. Or at least they don't really know or understand what I'm going through." But Jesus is deeply moved by my pain. I can share it with him. How reassuring is that?

And he's not just moved metaphorically. He's moved to act. He goes to Lazarus' tomb. Jesus isn't just emotionally disturbed my pain. He does something about it too.

However, he requires us to accept his aid. Jesus says to the mourners, "Take away the stone." And Martha doubts, "But Lord, by this time there is a bad odor, for he has been there four days." Though I oftentimes will pray to God for help, sometimes instead of giving me what I think I want or need, God will respond calling me to some sort of action. I'll reject it, saying, "You want me to do what, God? That's impossible! I can't change that."

But God's command is always what I need, and I'll end up doing it eventually anyway. Jesus replied to Martha's doubt, saying, "Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the Glory of God?" Essentially, he's asking, "Why don't you trust me? You know that I know what is best for you." Depending on his command, I may struggle against it for awhile, but I will do it.

And when I follow God's solution to my problem? Everything works out. The mourners rolled away the stone, and Lazarus, once a dead man, was alive once again. Though my life won't be perfect (Lazarus' life wasn't perfect--he's later condemned by an assassination plot), I can find joy in the Lord.

In reading this passage, I found myself asking: "Jesus could have just snapped his fingers and resurrected Lazarus. Why didn't he? Why did Lazarus have to die at all? Jesus could have healed him." Essentially, why let the suffering happen?

Because the mourners eventually did what Jesus asked, "many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, believed in him." Lazarus was alive and well, and the mourners had found a new hope in Jesus Christ. Though I don't know the personal stories of these Jews, they probably were struggling with their own issues. However, Jesus used the pain of one family--Mary, Martha, and Lazarus--to transform not only the family, but the lives of many others as well. This is purpose enough for suffering in my book.

The Jews, Mary, Martha, myself. . .We all need time to choose. We need time to believe. We need to learn how to ask for help, be receptive to God's response (even if it requires effort on our part), and work through our sufferings. Because they do have a purpose, even though sometimes we can't always see it.

What are your thoughts on this story? Please post a comment below!




No comments:

Post a Comment