Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Shop 'til You Drop

Even though I'm overwhelmingly busy at the moment, I had to write this post because I thought of the title and it amused me. It's shopping week at Haverford College.

What's shopping week, you say? It's when you treat your education like a product you're buying. You go to class and scrutinize the quality of the professor's teaching style. You get to try before you buy. It's a great concept, especially when you need to commit to the whole semester and text books are anything but cheap.

However, it's not so easy for first semester freshmen. All upperclassmen have the chance to preregister the semester before. When you're a freshmen, you talk to advisors about which classes you want to try, and you try them. Problems arise because 100 level classes (the lowest level, most freshmen can only take 100 levels unless they test out of something) are the most competitive, because freshmen and upperclassmen alike take them. Some of these 100 levels have limited enrollment, so a lottery is held to see who gets in.

I'm on the waitlist for statistics, astronomy, and abnormal psychology. I need to find two more classes to take, because I only have two at the moment. I really want to take abnormal psych, and either astronomy or statistics. But until I know for sure which classes I get into, I have to take Bio Psych and Economics as backups. So that's three classes I want to take, two back up classes, and two classes I'm actually in. That's seven college classes this week. Here's the kicker: during shopping week, you have to do all of the work for all of the classes you intend to take. That's a lot of homework.

In all honesty, I can't keep up with all of the work for seven classes. Hopefully tomorrow I will know whether or not I got into abnormal psych. Until I have all four determined, I just need to prioritize the best I can and do the most important work first. On the bright side, this is a better test of my time management skills than I've ever had before!

No comments:

Post a Comment